University of Vienna
Become a Mediator
Here you find the information on how to snag your spot as a mediator in the moot!
Our application process is a little different as we want to get to know the real you! So, we ask you to fill in our application form, which is as breezy as a summer day. But we also want to see you in action. So, you need to send us a video where you tell us about your passion for peaceful solutions, your knack for communication, and why you’re the perfect fit to be a mediator superstar.
If you are bursting with positive energy, armed with stellar communication, and ready to bring harmony to even the trickiest situations, don’t wait! The application window is open, and we can’t wait to see your star potential in action.
Application in a nutshell
Applications for the 2024 CDRC open on 15 November 2023.
Here is a quick guide to the application process for you:
- Each university may lodge an application only for one Mediator Team.
- A Mediator Team consists of a minimum of one and a maximum of two students.
- Mediator Teams must nominate a minimum of one and a maximum of two coaches.
We will select teams based on the criteria set out below (in no particular order).
- communication, presentation, and other skills manifested in the student’s application;
- training, coursework, and experience of the applying students;
- performance at previous mediation or negotiation competitions;
- representation of geographic and cultural diversity.
For more details on team structure, eligibility, and selection criteria please make sure to check the CDRC Vienna Competition Rules.
Eligibility of (Graduate) Students
- To be eligible, students must be registered as full-time or part-time students in the academic year of 2023/2024 or 2024.
- Graduate students are permitted to participate if they have completed their undergraduate studies no longer than 2 years ago and have gained work experience (e.g. practiced law or been in business) of no more than 1 year since their graduation.
- No student can have any practical mediation experience outside a training or university context (clinical experience is permissible).
- Each student can participate only once in any student role.
- Each Team must review the CDRC Vienna Competition Rules.
- Each Team is responsible for ensuring that all Team Members are eligible to participate in the CDRC Vienna.
In 2024, the CDRC will be held in person in Vienna. A hybrid participation is not possible.
Online applications for the 2024 IBA-VIAC CDRC Competition are open from 15 November 2023 to 31 January 2024 (11:59 pm CET the latest). This is a sharp deadline; late entries will not be considered.
Selected Mediator Teams will be invited to participate in February 2024. Bookmark our CDRC 2024 Timeline to stay on top of dates.
Each application consists of 4 steps. Each Mediator Team must:
- produce a short video so we get to know you.
- fill in either the Mediator Team Application Form.
- add and upload the short video.
- lodge its Mediator Team Application Form, together with its short video.
The CDRC Vienna does not charge application fees.
If accepted to participate in the CDRC Vienna, the Teams are invited to register and then asked to transfer a Registration Fee. Please consult the CDRC Vienna Competition Rules for Details (Rules 25 – 31).
The Registration Fees for the 2024 CDRC Vienna are:
- Registration fee for a Mediator Team (1 Mediator, 1 Coach): 500 €
- Each additional Team Member and Coach: 150 €
Each Mediator Team application requires the submission of an application video. The short video is a maximum of 1-minute and should show us, what makes you a great mediator (team) for the CDRC Vienna! We have prepared brief instructions that we hope will help you with this task.
We recommend that you familiarise yourself with the Competition Rules as part of preparing your application. They set out more information and should answer all questions you may have. Please make sure that you use the current set of Competition Rules for your preparations.
We do not ask for a fee on application and you can withdraw your application anytime before the selection. If you are selected to participate and have confirmed your participation by paying the registration fee, then we will keep the registration fee you have paid, should you withdraw. Registration Fees are non-refundable.